Its Canadian roots and beginnings are quite humble. In 1837
Henry Corby became a grain dealer, an activity which led him in 1857 to build a dam and grist mill 6 kilometers up the Moira River where it flows into Lake Ontario with the community which sprang up around it
soon to become known as Corbyville.
Two years later, in 1859, he built a distillery which soon overtook the mill in importance. In 1867 word spread as to the quality of Corby whisky and a pail of it
was considered as important as tools and lumber at stumpings and barn raisings. Henry died on October, 25, 1881 and was succeeded by his son "Harry." In 1881
Harry took over operation of the distillery which grew rapidly. He was quick to see the advantages in bottling whisky rather than selling by the barrel. In 1905 the company became H. Corby Distillery Limited.
In 1921 sales were up to 50,000 gallons per month. The company thrived through the thirties, forties and fifties. through its subsidiary companies, Meeghers,
Gillespie, McGuiness, and The William Mara Co., Corby acquired wine agency brands, many dating back to the early 1960's, and in some cases to the 19th
century. In 1990 Corby merged the operations of its subsidiaries and formed the Company as it is known today. The wine and spirits portfolio was further
enhanced in the mid 1990's when Corby took on National representation of the Allied Domecq Hiram Walker brands: California wineries Clos du Bois, Arlas Peak,
William Hill, and Callaway, Harvey's of Bristol, Cockburn's Ports, Bodega Balbi of Argentina, and numerous spirits and brands including Canadian Club, Courvoiser Cognac, Kalua and Tequila Sauza.
To better reflect its operations, the Corporation's name was changed to its present form, Corby Distilleries Limited, in 1969 and was given the short form
name "Corby." Today, "Corby" is world renowned for its wine & spirits portfolio.